Testing and quality assurance are key to identifying technical defects early on in any migration process. Our client, a leading insurance organization in the US, wanted a partner who could ensure that glitches were identified and rectified before the system went live. Coforge, with its in-depth knowledge of Duck Creek application systems and best-of-breed quality assurance (QA) capabilities, assumed overall responsibility of the client’s IT QA services, mitigating risks from potential gaps and providing continual process improvement. We also ensured seamless migration from client’s legacy Policy Administration System (PAS) to Duck Creek.
About the Client
Founded in 1914, the client is among the top 100 insurance organizations in the US. They offer the entire gamut of insurance products including a wide range of commercial and personal coverage. The client is a nationally recognized insurer for various specialized markets, providing coverage for the Graphic Communications industry, and for Errors and Omissions (E&O) for insurance agents and brokers.
As the client migrated Business Owner Policy (BOP), Auto, Workers Compensation (WC), MA Auto, and Errors & Omissions Policy Quote/Issue from legacy PAS to Duck Creek, they faced challenges in consolidating heterogeneous business applications and standardizing process execution of business transactions.
The client was looking for a partner who could take over the QA services for sustaining releases, while the company’s core technical team focused on migrating other Lines of Business (LoBs). They realized that a partner with strong technical abilities, and the ability to expand business in multiple states, customize existing Web service for all LOBs, create accounting interface files in the Duck Creek environment, and create an audit trail for all transactions by day-end would be a good fit.
Coforge seemed to fulfill the client’s requirements and was chosen as the vendor of choice to provide sustained QA services.
The client’s engagement with Coforge started with Legacy Policy Management application support and maintenance, and flourished over the years as we provided the client with quality assurance services across the entire gamut of functional areas including BOP, Auto, MA Auto, E&O, and WC. We used a dual shore model wherein our offshore and onsite team worked together to implement and add new policies, and convert the policy management system for all LOBs. Various interfaces—550, Policy Index, Agents, Billing, and Policy Conversion Renewal—were developed and the E&O platform was upgraded from Duck Creek version 1.8 to 3.4 and then 3.4 to 6.2. We also provided:
- Test case development, manual and automated test execution, regression suite execution, and defect logging services
- Functional test cases for all enhancements and fixes
- Updation and maintenance of regression test case after each release
- Functional testing for all maintenance tasks and application migration
- Ad-hoc testing for intermediate release releases
- Ad-hoc testing for intermediate release releases
- Regression testing for monthly release
- Internal and external review of test cases to ensure better coverage
- Defect logging and report/matrix creation
- Continuous quality tracking using productivity matrices as per baselines defined
- TAC tool for regular functional testing, led to 15% reduction in manual efforts
- Testing automation for BOP regression/CA Regression cycle
We automated regression testing for BOP releases and subsequently for other LOBs. Our team of domain and technology experts also created the regression test bed for BOP maintenance releases.
The engagement was taken to the next level with the implementation of multi-state policies using Duck Creek.
We also standardized Duck Creek templates and developed end-to-end solutions (proposals to claims) for Commercial Lines and Personal Lines insurance products. Further, Coforge developed, tested, and deployed an interface that ran a conversion process to take XML data from Duck Creek-generated XML transaction files. Corresponding onset/offset 550 details Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM) files were generated for the E&O, Automobile, BOP, Workmen’s Compensation, and the Umbrella lines of businesses. These VSAM files were then fed to the mainframe claims system for 550 details processing.
Delivering More Value
- More Analysis: Regression testing effort was reduced by 65%. We also eliminated manual intervention for reconciliation, resulting in less cumbersome and smooth solution.
- More Savings: We substantially curtailed the cost for executing testing activities.
- More Expertise: A total of 9000 functional test cases and 4500 regression test cases for BOP and Auto, and 5000 and 3000 functional test cases for WC and E&O respectively were created.
- More Accessible: Our team provided a scalable platform and a replicable solution that could be leveraged across LOBs
The Coforge Advantage
As a strategic partner to the client, we have been providing a range of services including application development and support and testing. Our long-term relationship with the client, along with deep knowledge of the company’s processes and systems, helped us deliver reliable solutions quicker and with assured service continuity.