The client was looking to improve their data and operational efficiency and reduce manual intervention across business activities, thus improving revenue. They approached Coforge to develop a solution and resolve their business challenges. Coforge designed and developed a system that helped the client achieve their goals.
About the Client
The client is a leading provider of airport services in cargo handling in Asia and the world's busiest airport for cargo traffic. The $750 million facility is one of the biggest and most sophisticated terminals in the world. The client provides additional air cargo handling capacity and facilities. Their terminal has been designed for an annual air cargo throughput capacity of 2.6 million tonnes and is a common-use facility, open to all airline customers.
The client has a massive air cargo throughput capacity and wanted to be the most efficient cargo terminal in the region. The biggest challenge to achieving this goal was the manual intervention in various cargo ground handling activities. The client wanted an experienced IT solutions partner to manage their data and make operations efficient thereby, improving revenue
Coforge, with our expertise across the airport domain and data analytics, designed and developed a core system using an open, component-based, n-tier architecture, which is highly flexible, scalable, and efficient. The solution focused on three important pillars to enable real-time insights and enhanced decision making:
- Management – including enterprise data management and data integration
- Modernization – of analytics and virtualization
- Monetization – of visualization and insights
The solution implemented had innovative modules of planning, SLA, performance and real-time monitoring, truck control system, and integration with the most advanced material handling system. This ensured that the terminal met its program goals of increased efficiency. These modules leveraged historical data and real-time data to derive critical information in the form of dashboards.
The project involved detailed planning to:
- Track all operational-critical events by proactively monitoring such events to minimize mishandling and delays
- Implement the 'What if?' analysis functionality
- Use historical information in the absence of real-time inputs
- Ensure SLA compliance
The following business processes of the warehouse operating system were monitored through the dashboard. Hourly performance and daily accumulative performance, based on multiple parameters like flight time, SHC, etc., were monitored.
- ULD check-in
- Cargo build-up
- Cargo build down
- Import cargo collection
SLA monitoring was another important part of the project. It was required for:
- Real-time tracking of processes against predefined SLAs by the airline
- Resource allocation optimization
- Visual alerts to indicate the progress/delays of various processes
- The proposed measurement of hourly and accumulative performance of general, perishable, and express cargo mapped to current performance. In case of SLA mismatch, notifications/alerts for the same are shown on the dashboard.
Delivering more value:
Drawing on its experience in the airport domain and expertise in data analytics, Coforge was able to develop a solution for the client, delivering the following results:
- Increase in cargo handling capacity by 50% (7.4 million tons)
- Reduction of trans-shipment time by 37% - from 8 hours to 5 hours
The Coforge Advantage
- 200+ BI and analytics implementation worldwide
- Enabled JIT delivery of shipment at a cargo terminal in Asia. Also enabled intelligent and efficient handling of specialized cargo based on real-time planning and monitoring
- 20+ airports as customers